Global Alliance for Rights of Nature
The Global Alliance for the Rights of Nature (the “Alliance”) is a network of organizations and individuals committed to the universal adoption and implementation of legal systems that recognize, respect and enforce “Rights of Nature” and to making the idea of Rights of Nature an idea whose time has come.
The primary premise of the Alliance is that in order to insure an environmentally sustainable future, humans must reorient themselves from an exploitative and ultimately self-destructive relationship with nature, to one that honors the deep interrelation of all life and contributes to the health and integrity of the natural environment. An essential step in achieving this is to create a system of jurisprudence that sees and treats nature as a fundamental, rights bearing entity and not as mere property to be exploited at will. Breaking out of the human-centered limitations of our current legal systems by recognizing, respecting and enforcing Rights of Nature is one of the most transformative and highly leveraged actions that humanity can take to create a sustainable future for all.
As members of the Global Alliance for the Rights of Nature, our decisions and actions will be guided by the following principles for our present and our future:
- As members of an indivisible, living community of interrelated and interdependent beings, we each have a responsibility to contribute to the health and integrity of the whole Earth community, including future generations.
- In order to achieve our vision of societies that flourish in harmony with other beings, that are socially just and spiritually fulfilling, we must recognise, respect and defend the rights of all beings.
- We will work in solidarity with one another to promote the recognition by all people that all beings are subjects with rights, to ensure that humans respect, uphold and guarantee those rights in law and elsewhere, and reject the commodification of Nature.
- We will integrate practices into our work that strengthen our connection to, and respect for, the Earth community and that evoke gratitude and humility regarding our place within the universe.
- We recognize the special contribution of Indigenous Peoples who have maintained cultures that respect Mother Earth and acknowledge their wisdom and leadership within the Alliance.